ESSENTIAL QUESTION/BIG IDEA: What were the push/pull factors that contributed to American westward expansion in the 1800s?
HOMEWORK: Finish your Territory Expansion Map
- Review material from Andrew Jackson Week
- Animated Atlas - tracking westward expansion
- Westward Expansion Map - MAP HANDOUT HERE and INSTRUCTIONS HERE
- BrainPop - Manifest Destiny
- Oregon Trail Emulator - CLICK HERE
- Analyzing John Gast's American Progress - PAINTING HERE
- How are animals portrayed?
- How are Native Americans portrayed?
- How are white settlers portrayed?
- How does the artist use light and color to send a message?
- What or who do you think the robed figure in the middle represents?
- The title of the painting is American Progress. What is progress, and how is progress represented in this painting?
- What other details do you notice that seem interesting or important to the message of the painting?
- What is the message of this painting?
HIST8 TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Animated Atlas - tracking westward expansion