ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS: What caused the spread of this terrible disease? What were symptoms and how were patients treated? What were the social effects of the Black Death? What impact did the Black Death have on the history of Europe and the world?
HOMEWORK/DELIVERABLES: By the time I see you again next Monday, you will have completely read and/or completed the following:
- Black Plague Primary Sources - HANDOUT HERE
- Crash Course Disease Study Guide - HANDOUT HERE
- Black Death Investigation Kit - HANDOUT HERE
- Black Death Official Briefing Report - HANDOUT HERE (on paper OR Google Docs)
- Study for the open-note Black Death Quiz - basically it's just checking to see what you learned all this week. You will turn in all the above deliverables AFTER you take your quiz. Want a sneak peek at what the questions will be? Just ask the Plague Doctors.
- Watch The Past, Present, and Future of the Bubonic Plague - TED-ED VIDEO BELOW
- Why do we study disease as a part of history? - CLASS DISCUSSION
- Black Plague Primary Sources - read and annotate - HANDOUT HERE
- Hand out Crash Course Disease Study Guide - HANDOUT HERE
- Watch Crash Course World History: Disease (0:00 - 8:35) - VIDEO BELOW
- Go over Crash Course answers
- Hand out Black Death Investigation Kit - HANDOUT HERE
- Review as a class the Complete Black Death Investigation Kit Red Alert Briefing page (Exhibit A) and go over the instructions for the Black Death Investigation
- Continue with your Black Death Investigation Kit - HANDOUT HERE
- Re-visit Exhibit A and fill out your Investigation Notes
- AS A CLASS, examine Exhibit B and Exhibit C, and review answers to the Investigation Notes
- Hand out the Black Death Official Briefing Report - HANDOUT HERE
- Using all the sources you have now learned this week, complete the Black Death Official Briefing Report. You can either fill it out by hand, or you can create the Briefing Report using Google Docs. I have provided a template for you in Google Classroom.
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DEMONSTRATE THAT YOU HAVE USED THE SUPPORTING DETAILS GIVEN TO YOU THIS WEEK. THOSE DETAILS INCLUDE:
- Both videos (Crash Course and TedEd)
- Primary source annotation (Giovanni Boccaccio and Agnolo Di Tura)
- Complete Black Death Investigation Kit (all the rest of the sources)
- If you want, you could even use the Black Death Art pieces I mention in the "over the weeekend" notes below!! It's totally optional, of course. But if you have time, use them too!
- Finish your Black Death Official Briefing Report (either on paper or in Google Docs)
- I have some fascinating Black Death Art to share with you next week (I'm so excited!!!). We will do this next week, but if you finish your full Briefing Report early, you can check out BLACK DEATH ART.
- FINALLY, on Monday you will get an open-note Black Death Quiz. Want a sneak peek at what the quiz questions will be? Just ask the Plague Doctors.