ESSENTIAL QUESTION(S)/BIG IDEAS: How can we apply the wisdom of African proverbs to our everyday life?HW: Read and take notes on 5:2 (possible Game Show Quiz on 5:1/5:2 on TUESDAY)
- Welcome, Attendance, and write down your HW
- Secrets to preparing for a quiz
- Finish iconoclast presentations
- Review African Proverbs Survey (see form below) - RESULTS HERE
- Crash Course World History: Mansa Musa and Islam in Africa - REVIEW HANDOUT
- Which African proverb inspired that song from The Lion King?
- Begin the Adinkra Mat
- Finished your mat early? Here's what you can do:
- Show it to me to verify you are done. Ask me for a Rubric Sheet to make sure you did everything correctly.
- Study 5:1, 5:2, and 5:3 for your Monday quiz
- Send a special Halloween card to kids at Children's Hospital Los Angeles
- Using evidence--Where did Lady Leshurr shoot her video for "Queen's Speech Ep. 5"?
- A prize will go to whoever gets the GPS coordinates the closest!! Submit your response HERE!!
- Choose your favorite proverb from the list of African Proverbs you already
- Check out the Adinkra symbols HERE or HERE. You'll choose a minimum of four symbols.
- Create a ROUGH DRAFT of your Adinkra mat in your notebook or on scratch paper. You should include your proverb in large print in the middle of your mat, surrounded by Adinkra symbols. There should be at least 4 different types of Adinkra symbols on your mat, and a minimum of 12 Adinkra symbols total. You may repeat symbols, if you wish, or you can have 12 different symbols.
- Take a piece of cardstock from the basket (I ask that each student take only one piece of cardstock). I strongly urge you to trace in pencil before making anything permanent.
- Create the FINAL DRAFT of your Adinkra mat, including at least four different colors. Looking for inspiration for your design? Do a Google Images search for "African cloth" or "African patterns"
- Next week you will present your Adinkra mat, including an explanation of why you chose your proverb, what your proverb means to you, why you chose your Adinkra symbols, and what each symbol means. The grading rubric will look like THIS.
ADINKRA MAT PROJECT DIRECTIONS