1. Who was Buddha?
-A sage on whose teachings Buddhism was founded.
2. What did Buddhists in China believe?
-The Chinese believed in Zen Buddhism which emphasizes meditation and experience to reach perfect wisdom.
3. What country did Buddhism come from?
4. Approximately what year did Buddhism come to China?
-500 C.E. (A.D.- the paper handout says BCE but this is a typo. The correct answer is 500 C.E.)
5. How did Buddhism come to China?
-Traders coming along the Silk Road
6. What is a meritocracy?
-An elite group of people whose progress is based on ability and talent rather than on class privilege or wealth.
7. How did meritocracy change the hierarchal order in ancient China?
-People from the lower classes could become government officials.
8. Under which dynasty did meritocracy begin to flourish?
9. Explain what the exams the candidates for public office would look like.
-They wrote essays and poems. They answered questions about political and social problems based on Confucian ideas.
10. The ancient Chinese government was run by officials whose qualifications were based on education and talent. Who established this idea?
13. What was the Silk Road?
-A trade route from China to Europe
14. Why was it so important?
-It generated trade and commerce between a number of different kingdoms/empires. It helped spread ideas, culture, inventions, technology and other products around the world.
15. What did they trade on the Silk Road?
-Silk, tea, spices, silver, gold, ivory
16. How did they travel?
-Caravans of camels escorted by guards.
17. What technological advances did China share with the world?
-Metal casting, compass, paper, gunpowder, silk
16. Why did the Chinese develop martial arts?
-War, hunting, raise soldier morale
17. Who practiced martial arts?
-Soldiers, hunters, and eventually monks
18. What character traits did the ancient Chinese value?
-Wisdom, patience, and hard work.
19. Why did the ancient Chinese tell myths, stories, or idioms?
-To teach a lesson, to entertain.
20. What was the name of the books Confucius's students wrote based on Confucius's teachings?