Today's essential questions:
Which is better: to have a story written down or to have a story told to you? Why? What are the advantages of having information written down (by hand or electronically)? What are the advantages/disadvantages of having information in spoken form only (in person, over the phone, in video)? How do you learn better: when you SEE WORDS on a page/screen, or when you HEAR WORDS with your ears?
1. What is a griot?
2. African Proverbs - handout HERE
TODAY'S VOCABULARY: griot (jeli), transmit, oral history, folk tales, genealogy, proverb
REMINDERS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Big Hero 6 at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, Fri, 11/14 - Family Event!
- Mr. Ippolito is selling tickets to any families interested in going to see Big Hero 6 in 3D at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood
- Group tickets are only $13 (they are $20 if you purchase online)
- Your family must provide transportation to Hollywood
- For more information, ask a parent/guardian to click here: https://www.facebook.com/events/788174824554760
- Share the African Proverbs we studied today with your family. Ask a family member to identify 2-3 proverbs that are most meaningful to them. Have him or her explain to you what the meaning is of each proverb they chose. How can these apply to your family?